amazon

Friday, 22 July 2011

Chocolate Yogurt

Having spend a good number of years in Kolkata, one tends to develop a liking toward the local food. Bengal is known for its food and especially its sweets. I, having a pretty sweet tooth, love almost all the Bengali Mithais. One such example is mishti doi (sweet yogurt).

Mishti doi is a popular dessert in Bengal and everyone at my place loves it. A few days back when I read about the Chocolate event at Jyoti's lovely blog, one line she wrote got stuck in my head. "What I am looking for is not cakes and cookies! I want you to go beyond that." Hmmm...I thought. And then an idea struck me when I was just about to hit the bed yesterday, why not try making chocolate yogurt. I've made mishti doi a quite a number of times. The process is simple and very excitedly I went to the kitchen and started preparing this dessert. 





My hubby who was fast asleep by then, came to the kitchen and was like "are you mad" :-)I just gave him a smile and said "Chocolate Doi" and he went again to sleep.



This morning, the first thing I did was to see if this recipe was a success or not - and when I saw the yogurt, I was really thrilled.

This tasted simply great and for me anything with chocolate is always a hit :-) Make it, you'll believe it. 




Ingredients

500 ml - low fat milk, 1.5% (this makes the yogurt slightly thin, use normal milk if you like thick yogurt)
1 1/2 tbsp - sugar (more or less)
40 grams - dark chocolate 70%, roughly broken
1 tbsp - plain yogurt

Method


  1. Mix the milk and the sugar and bring it to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat and simmer the milk for 7 minutes.
  3. Add the roughly broken chocolate pieces and, stirring continuously, cook the milk until the chocolate melts completely.
  4. Simmer the milk again for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C for 10 minutes and switch off.
  6. When the milk is still slightly warm ( if you insert your finger in the milk and can hold it without getting burnt to the count of 10), add the yogurt and whisk well.
  7. Pour the milk in the glass jars and cover them with aluminum foil.
  8. Place the jars on the oven tray and place the tray in the center of the pre-heated oven. 
  9. I left the jars in the oven overnight and the yogurt was set by next morning.

A bite of this delicious chocolate yogurt, just for you :-)


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...