amazon

Saturday, 23 July 2011

Caramelised Cherry Rice

To brighten up our mood and to bring some colour to the weekend, I decided to make this Caramelised Cherry Rice. Its a fruity take somewhere between on the very traditional Indian "kheer" and the German "Milchreis" with a few calories less. And, a good way to use leftover rice too :-)



The fruit stalls are currently overflowing with cherries and strawberries now. I love the bright colours and these are two of my very favourite fruits and I never get enough of them. A strawberry rich recipe follows soon...


Ingredients

1/3 cup - low fat milk
1 cup - boiled rice
3 tbsp - condensed milk, sweetened
1/4 tsp - cardamom powder
2 tbsp - brown sugar (to sprinkle)
sugar if required

For the Compote

1 cup - cherries, pitted 
1 tbsp - vanilla sugar (more or less)

Method

For the Compote
  1. Place the cherries and the vanilla sugar in a pan and cook on a medium heat, stirring continously until the cherry softens. Let it cool.



For the rice
  1. Place the rice, milk, condensed milk and cardamom powder in a pan and cook until the milk evaporates. Let it cool.
  2. Add the cherries in a serving bowl/remekins/glass, add the rice and let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
  3. Sprinkle the brown sugar on the top of the rice and spread evenly.
  4. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top and serve.
  5. If you dont have a torch then place the ramekins in a preheated oven until the sugar  melts. 

5 comments:

  1. Initial thoughts - sounds a bit odd...first I have never eaten rice with fruits...2nd you also mention that its for leftover rice :)

    But since your other recipes have been v. good; I am going to try this!

    hmmm ... where are the cherries? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...