amazon

Monday, 30 May 2011

Corn Stuffed Baked Tomatoes

We were away on our much awaited and much needed holiday to London. London is my favourite short holiday destination, I like the hustle bustle of this city, the food and, of course, the shopping... what could be better than this combination:-)

We hogged and shopped and hogged.... Ohhh what a lovely holiday it was. I feel totally rejuvenated and happy. 







After having eaten so many calories, I decided to make something simple and light and healthy. These baked tomatoes have a lovely blend of flavours and looked really cute. 


Ma, my granny, used to make this corn stuffing, which is a starter on its own, and we would finish it off in no time. The first words when I served this dish to my hubby was that "Ma used to make this ." With a smile on my face but watery eyes remembering her, I said, "Yes, I have just put them in tomatoes." 




With or without the tomatoes, this dish tastes great!

Ingredients

4 - tomatoes, medium size
1/3 cup - low fat milk
1/4 tsp - black pepper powder
1 tsp - cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp - sunflower oil
1/8 tsp - cumin seeds (jeera)
a generous pinch of sugar
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
a generous pinch of dried crushed mint leaves
salt to taste

To be coarsely ground without using water

3/4 cup - corn, boiled
1 - green chilli (more or less)
1 tsp - ginger

Method
  1. Cut a thin slice off the tomatoes from the top and scoop out the insides.
  2. Cut a very thin slice off the bottom of the tomatoes. It helps in keeping the tomatoes stable.
  3. Rub a little salt in and around the tomatoes.
  4. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and hing, when the seeds start to splutter add the coarsely ground corn, salt, sugar, pepper powder and milk and cook on a low heat, stirring continously until the milk evaporates. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
  6. Fill the tomatoes with the corn stuffing, sprinkle the cheese and dried mint leaves on top.
  7. Place the tomatoes in a baking tray and place the tray in the center of the preheated oven. Bake until the tomatoes are slightly tender and the skin starts parching.
  8. Serve hot.
 
enjoy.......

5 comments:

  1. This recipe looks delicious. Thanks for posting.

    Buy Here Pay Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...